Racers Anyone? Derby Day
In Australia the racing season dominates our fashion for the month of November. But I have always found it a challenge finding something ‘race day appropriate’ yet something that can be worn again. here are a few hints.
- Traditionally the dress code for Derby Day is black and white. But don’t forget you can also wear head to toe white or black which makes it much easier when selecting an outfit that has longevity.
- A classic suit is an easy answer to this dress code, but why not have some fun and use the opportunity to dress up. Dresses work really well on this occasion, but remember to look chic and classic with your choice. It’s not a night club !
- If you are heading to the Race Track, just check on the dress rules. Strapless and skirt length are important to remember, in particular in the members or VIP area. But even if you are just celebrating with friends, embrace to classic look rather than the ‘show some skin’ look.
- Spots are big this season, in all sizes. Also lace and bow details will be important.
- If you are struggling with headwear, fresh flowers look beautiful or a simple headband. You don’t need to go overboard with your headwear.
- Have fun!!!
Elegant, Feminine…Yet Cool.
You can dress with elegance and femininity and have a cool edge. just add in hints of your personality along the way.
- Add femininity into your looks with gingham, spots and some shine. If you layer with more traditional pinstripes, animal prints and crisp cottons you will create more of an edge with your dressing.
- Neutral tones such as camel and tan are very sophisticated and chic, but if you add denim or white it creates a freshness.
- Being feminine doesn’t mean you have to dress in ‘pretty prints’. You can still get this look with block colours and choosing the right pieces.
- Grooming is key to creating this look.
Casual dressing some people find the hardest to get right. if you have the right elements, you can be comfortable and styling!
- Suiting doesn’t need to be just for the office. Style back with a white tank and sneakers and you have the perfect chic version of wearing a suit. Also wear as separates - the pants with a hoodie or slouchy knit or the blazer back with denim and a boot.
- A trench is the perfect layering piece. You can wear with denim, tailored pants or even a casual pant. You will look chic without even trying.
- Stripes look so fresh and just work. You can even mix stripes with spots or animal print.
- A hoodie is not just for wearing to the gym, style with tailored pants or skirts as well.
- Dresses are perfect for casual style - but pick styles that can we worn in different way to dress up or down.
Warmer weather is upon us here in Australia(….sorry everyone in the Northern hemisphere!) and it’s going to be a season of natural fabrics & beautiful colour combinations.
- Although there is a lot of white linen on offer, the neutrals and soft tones are also key. Think natural rich tones of saffron, ochre, dijon, honey, sepia, ecru and amber with hints of flax, corn, mustard and even amaranth. And when colours are styled together work beautifully.
- Navy linen back with white is always classic and still very relevant. Ensure to style white eyewear and footwear back with your outfit.
- Although linen wrinkles, don’t be afraid to enjoy wearing this beautiful fabric.
- The linen suit is a great way to look sophisticated yet cool in vibe & temperature. Wear back with sandals, slides or a white trainer.
Girl On The Go.
While still looking feminine, there is the new vibe of sophisticated pieces styled back with edgy cool day wear.
- New colours to consider are apple green, mustard & paprika. Style back with denim or neutrals….even adding a hint go red looks great.
- Feminine shapes and details such as puffy sleeves, corset details, wide belts and the key to this is contrasting button details.
- The ‘onsie’ is back and although you might be thinking…. “what the”, it is a very chic style to wear with sneakers, slides or even a heel.
In Love With Animal
A neutraL, a classic & really adds edge to an outfit - animal print also works on everyone!
- Animal print works so well when worn with denim and a white shirt. The print becomes the statement.
- Don’t be afraid to mix animal prints with stripes or florals - when done right can look very cool.
- The new animal prints are more futuristic and bold. Although these are more “fashion” if you are looking for a new take on this print, this is your answer.
- Printed footwear and handbags never goes out of style. Even a hint of animal print works every time.
The rules of style are simple. start with classics first. the 20 styles that you can't live without.
1. Once you know the rules of style, you can introduce these items into your wardrobe. They will be the basis of dressing.
2. Denim and stripes play a key role in style. They are a colour without being obvious.
3. Black items are go-to items that will become your uniform. You can add your personality with accessories and shoes.
4. Before you buy obvious printed clothes, remember having style is subtle and chic. Build your wardrobe first and add the colour later.
Nine to Five - Tonal Merge
INSPIRATION WHEN CREATING YOUR 'WORK UNIFORM'.
adding neutrals in different shades is a subtle add of colour.
1. The classic trench is a must for a corporate wardrobe. Perfect for layering and really means business!
2. Wearing head to toe neutrals is so chic. However you can mix tonal variations.
3. Neutrals worn back with the navy and black items in your wardrobe is a lovely mix.
4. Key colours are soft pinks, tobacco and camel tones.
Nine to Five - Blue Business
Inspiration when creating your 'work uniform'.
the key is 1. core, 2. SEPARATES, 3. invest
Embracing the uniform elements of work wear while still having some fashion and personality thrown in - 'Blue Business' allows you to be corporate yet cool while being able to style different elements of your wardrobe.
1. Navy is very classic however has a freshness if you find yourself always wearing black.
2. Try different tones and textures of 'blues' and mix them together.
3. Add a pop of colour with accessories - yellow works really well with navy and blue tones.
4. Your work wear can also be worn on the weekend by styling back with denim.
Nine to Five - The Classics
INSPIRATION WHEN CREATING YOUR 'WORK UNIFORM'.
BLACK AND WHITE always works. it looks classic, chic and very sophisticated.
1. Buying black and white is an easy solution to work wear. You can also mix the elements easily.
2. Adding white pieces always looks crisp and classic.
3. Use textures and monocromatic prints to add a contrast
4. Wearing head to toe black just works - even if you get sick of 'always wearing black', there is no doubting how chic it looks.
There are always ways to update your style with touches of femininity. However you can also be edgy and cool when dressing 'pretty'.
- Stripes can be pretty too - think about shirting with a twist and dresses with fullness.
- Gingham in more structured styles, like suiting styled back with a pop of red or lace trim shirting, adds some edge to femininity.
- White is key to classic feminine dressing. And don't forget about white accessories like eyewear and baskets.
- Denim with a pretty top is the ultimate feminine cool. With slicked back hair and a red lip - effortless.
THIS LOOK IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVOURITES. MAINLY BECAUSE IT NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE AND SUITS EVERYONE.
1. Even if you are sick of wearing stripes, there is no denying they really do look great. Look to update your stripes in new shapes and colours.
2. Add spot into this look and style back with stripes.
3. Embrace the basket! Not only is it convenient, you can now buy really fun versions of the humble basket.
4. The key to this trans-seasonal nautical look is classic styles while adding some fun in. Bold earrings, layers of necklaces and strapy shoes are a must.
Cold Here, Warm There
EVEN THOUGH IT'S FREEZING IN AUSTRALIA, WARMER WEATHER IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER.
A few things to remember when adding new season colours to your wardrobe.
1. Try something new! I adore the new 'greens' - worn with navy, white and denim look so fresh.
2. Wear 'tone on tone' or 'shade matching'. Think tobacco with rust or camel with peach tones.
3. Rose gold or gold accessories still a must on glowing skin.